This tender cake brings out the sweet side of fresh summer corn.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for pan, divided
- 2/3 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal or polenta
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 6 oz. firm silken tofu, drained (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup corn kernels from freshly shucked corn on the cob
- 1 cup blackberries (about 4 oz.)
- 1 tsp. confectioners’ sugar
- 3 cups blackberries (about 12 oz.), divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
- 11/2 tsp. grated lime zest
1 | To make Cake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray, dust with flour, then set aside.
2 | Whisk together 1 cup flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Remove 1 Tbs. cornmeal mixture; set aside.
3 | Pulse tofu in food processor 10 seconds, or until creamy, but not completely smooth. With machine still running, pour in oil. Stir with spoon, add remaining 2 Tbs. flour, and pulse 10 seconds more, to combine. Transfer to bowl, and whisk in almond milk. Stir almond milk mixture into flour mixture. Toss corn kernels and blackberries with 1 Tbs. reserved cornmeal mixture, and fold into batter. Transfer to prepared cake pan.
4 | Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until lightly golden, and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5 | Meanwhile, to make Sauce: Bring 2 cups blackberries, sugar, and 1/4 cup water to a boil in small saucepan over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until bubbly and thickened. Transfer to serving glass or bowl, and cool 15 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup blackberries, lime juice, thyme, and lime zest.
6 | Unmold Cake on wire rack to cool. Sift confectioners’ sugar over Cake.
7 | To serve: Slice Cake into wedges, and spoon warm Sauce over top. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
- Calories: 167
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 143 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g