Convenience foods, such as the ready-made tubes of polenta and soy "sausage," let cooks assemble a pleasing meal fast. To accompany this easy entrée, offer a tossed green salad and frozen yogurt for dessert.
- 1 1-lb. tube polenta
- 1 14-oz. tube soy breakfast "sausage"
- 1 15-oz. can artichoke hearts, well drained
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 4 oz. shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Slice polenta into 8 1/2-inch-thick slices, and set aside. Slice soy breakfast "sausage" into 8 1/2-inch-thick slices, and set aside.
2. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and heat over medium-low heat. Place the polenta slices into the skillet, and brown on one side for about 5 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the slices over, and brown on the second side. Remove from the skillet, and put on serving plates.
3. Spray the skillet again with nonstick cooking spray, and place the "sausage" slices into the skillet. Brown on one side for about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the slices over and brown on the second side. Remove from the skillet, and stack "sausage" slices on top of polenta slices.
4. Put artichoke hearts, marinara sauce, garlic and oregano into the skillet, and cook until heated through, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese, and when it begins to melt, spoon over polenta cakes. Serve hot.
- Calories: 410
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g