There are many ways to make a gluten-free pizza crust – and we’ve probably tried them all. Cauliflower certainly gives a strong showing, but when you want something that’s a tad more convincingly crust-like, polenta is your guy. Here, we bake this skillet pizza in cast-iron, which delivers that coveted crispy quality. It’s got the kind of sturdiness that might even tempt you to put down the knife and fork, pick up a slice in your hands, and truly live.
If you’re not a frequent polenta-buyer, you’ll want to be sure to pay attention to the type you buy. We call here for instant polenta, which you’ll likely find where your supermarket stocks baking supplies and flours, not pasta. If you can’t find instant, traditional polenta will work, you’ll just need to allot a bit more time for the process. That squishy tube of pre-prepped polenta that lives next to the pasta can work here (just skip the polenta prep step and press it into your skillet) but you may not be able to achieve as crispy of a base.
On top, we put classic red tomato sauce, ribbons of zucchini, rings of bell pepper, and a crumble of goat cheese. If you eschew dairy, you can make a great substitute from cashews or purchase the vegan cheese of your choice. Vromage offers a great goat cheese sub, or Kite Hill’s vegan ricotta will work, though with a bit less of the distinctive tang.
Gluten-Free Polenta Crust Skillet Pizza with Goat Cheese and Summer Vegetables
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush bottom and sides of 10-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 Tbs. oil.
2. Combine polenta, salt, and 3 cups water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Cook 5 minutes, or until polenta is thick. Spread polenta in prepared skillet, set in oven, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until beginning to brown on sides.
3. Remove skillet from oven, and spread polenta with sauce. Top with half of goat cheese slices. Spread zucchini strips over goat cheese, top with bell pepper rings, then remaining goat cheese. Drizzle with remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Return to oven, and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Calories 167
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 7 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 351 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g