Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Most shortcakes go stale after just one day, but, miraculously, these stay tender.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine flours, ¼ cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Rub cream cheese and butter into mixture with fingertips until it resembles coarse meal.
3. Stir in buttermilk and almond extract until dough just comes together. Turn onto lightly floured surface, and divide into eight pieces. Shape into rounds, and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush rounds with water, and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool.
4. To serve: Preheat oven to 350°F. Warm shortcakes on ungreased baking sheet 5 to 10 minutes. Toss berries with sugar and amaretto, if desired, crushing some to release juices. Split shortcakes, fill with berry mixture, and top with yogurt.
- Calories 261
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 12 mg
- Fat Content 4.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 489 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g