Poached dried cherries, crumbled gingersnaps, and lightly sweetened yogurt create an elegant winter dessert.
- 1 cup ruby port
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. grated orange zest
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken into 3 pieces
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (3 oz.)
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 nonfat ginger cookies, crumbled
1. Bring port, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, cloves, and peppercorns to a boil in medium saucepan.
Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove cinnamon, cloves, and peppercorns. Add cherries, cover, and simmer 10 minutes, or until cherries are softened and sauce begins to thicken.
2. Whisk together yogurt, honey, and vanilla in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Remove cherries to 2 bowls with slotted spoon. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook port liquid
5 to 7 minutes, or until reduced to 3 Tbs. and mixture is syrupy.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup yogurt mixture over each bowl of cherries. Drizzle with port sauce, and sprinkle with crumbled cookies.
- Calories: 392
- Carbohydrate Content: 86 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 66 mg
- Sugar Content: 73 g