For extra flavor, use roasted peppers packed in olive oil with garlic. If you’re in the mood, top the cooked mushrooms with a bit of your favorite cheese.Meal Plan: Make a quick salad with chopped fresh tomatoes and chopped fresh basil. Toss with balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil.
- 7-oz. jar roasted red peppers (packed in water)
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 5 inches in diameter, about 1 lb.), stems and gills removed
- 4 whole wheat buns or hard rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 1 small bunch arugula, stemmed and leaves torn in half (2 cups)
Drain roasted peppers in strainer set over small bowl, reserving liquid. You should have about 2 tablespoons liquid. Thinly slice peppers and set aside. Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard and 1 tablespoon water into red pepper liquid in bowl to make dressing. In medium bowl, place 1 tablespoon dressing and reserve.
Prepare grill or heat grill pan over medium-high heat.
Brush remaining dressing over both sides of mushrooms. On grill or pan, place mushrooms cut side down. Cook until tender, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Place 1 mushroom on bottom of each bun. Top with pepper slices. Add arugula to reserved dressing in bowl and toss well. Place some arugula salad on top of each mushroom, cover with bun tops and serve.
- Calories: 150
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 184 mg