Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Pete Solomita of Brooklyn, NY, teaches public and private cooking classes. He developed this recipe to showcase how tasty veg food can be. Swiss chard is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including iron and calcium, and is delicious in this sandwich.
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Place mushrooms, stem side up, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with 1 Tbs. oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Cool to room temperature, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add chard and 2 Tbs. water, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until leaves begin to wilt, turning frequently with tongs. Cover; remove from heat.
3. Whisk remaining 3 Tbs. oil with balsamic vinegar in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Divide mushroom slices and chard among bottoms of rolls. Top with onion and tomato slices, and drizzle each with 1 Tbs. oil-vinegar mixture. Cover with roll tops, and serve.
- Calories 353
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 525 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g