When pizza night needs a little spicing up, this potato crust pizza recipe has got your back. It swaps grated potatoes for a flour crust, making this recipe accidentally gluten-free. Roasted eggplant and red bell peppers are flavorful vegetarian toppings, and a good sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and dried herbs makes the whole dish feel like a treat. The potatoes give the pizza a loaded tater tot vibe, which kids will love, while parents can feel good about the generous portion of vegetables they’re eating.
Potato Crust Pizza with Roasted Eggplant & Peppers
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Place bell peppers on a baking sheet and roast until they’re fully softened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove peppers and immediately place in a bowl. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand about 15 minutes, until peppers are cool enough to handle. Once cooled, use your hands to slip off skins and remove seeds and stems. Cut peppers into 1-inch-thick strips and set aside.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly mist with cooking spray. Place eggplant on a baking sheet, reduce oven temperature to 375°F, and roast on center rack until tender and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, fill a large mixing bowl halfway with cold water. Grate potatoes, immediately placing potatoes in water to prevent browning.
- Line a separate baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly mist with cooking spray. Working with 1 handful at a time, squeeze excess water from potatoes and place on a clean kitchen towel. Roll up towel; bend and wring any remaining moisture from potatoes. Return to a large bowl and add salt, then toss to combine. Spread potatoes on the prepared baking sheet, creating a layer about ⅛-inch thick with about an inch gap between the edge of the potatoes and the rim of the baking sheet. Bake at 375°F until potatoes are tender but not yet browning, about 20 minutes. If baking potatoes at the same time as eggplant, place a baking sheet with potatoes on bottom rack in oven.
- Remove potato layer from oven and top with eggplant, sliced peppers, and cheese. Sprinkle rosemary and oregano over cheese and return to oven and bake until cheese is melted and edges are deeply browned, about 20 minutes.
- Once baked potato crust is removed from oven, top with peppers, eggplant, and mozzarella. Then sprinkle rosemary and oregano over top of mozzarella. Bake for 20 more minutes, until golden brown. Use a metal spatula to slice and serve pizza immediately.