30 minutes or lessMake this soup without red pepper for something mild yet still flavorful.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cups chopped leeks (white parts only, 6 to 7 leeks)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 11/2 lbs. thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, plus more for garnish
In soup pot, heat oil. Add leeks, and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until softened but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add potatoes and broth or water and 1 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover, increase heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Use back of spoon to mash some of potatoes against sides of pot to thicken broth.
Stir in generous sprinkling of freshly ground pepper, horseradish, lemon juice and dill. Taste, and add more salt if desired. Serve hot, sprinkled with fresh dill.
- Calories: 243
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 40 mg