This luncheon salad celebrates spring’s imminent arrival with a splash of early-season ingredients such as fresh strawberries. Use already cooked eggs, or hard-boil and cool eggs as you ready the salad. Serve this with hot fruit muffins, chilled spicy tea and yogurt with fresh fruit.
- 1 cup uncooked, small, shell-shaped quinoa pasta or wheat pasta
- 1/4 lb. sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 1/4 lb. slender asparagus, trimmed and cut on the diagonal
- 1 large English cucumber
- 3 cups mixed young salad greens
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, or more if needed
- 1 Tbs. water
- 1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar, or to taste
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse under cold water, drain again and set aside.
Bring another large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, and blanch sugar snap peas for 1 minute. Remove from water, and blanch asparagus for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, place sugar snap peas and asparagus in cold water, drain and set aside.
Slice cucumber, and place slices in salad bowl. Rinse and dry salad greens, and place in salad bowl. Add strawberries, cooled pasta and vegetables.
To make dressing, beat together sour cream, olive oil, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, seasoning salt and sugar. Spoon dressing over salad, and toss. Arrange quartered eggs over top, and serve.
When matching wine and salad, take into
account the acidity and “weight” of both the food and wine. The acidity of the asparagus, strawberries and lemon will cause wines to show their sweetness. The sour cream, olive oil and eggs will add weight and mouthfeel, and will control acidity in wine. Choose a wine with medium acidity such as Gavi Vigne del Pareto.
- Calories: 300
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 210 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 130 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g