If you like, add some slices of browned soy “sausage” to the mixture at the end.
- 1 1/2 cups black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed (4 tsp.)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 lb. rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 lb. parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 400F. Combine peas with 6 cups water, garlic, thyme and rosemary in saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil and add 1 tsp. salt. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until peas are tender, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss carrots, rutabaga and parsnips with 1 Tbs. oil, 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper to taste. Spread vegetables on foil-lined baking sheet, and roast about 40 minutes, or until tender, stirring every 15 minutes.
Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, about 8 minutes, or until softened. Add onions to peas. Stir in roasted vegetables, and simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes. Remove herb sprigs. Stir in lemon juice; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.
- Calories: 251
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 616 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g