Sautéed leek tops do double-duty in these sandwiches, giving them a sweet, oniony flavor and a tender crunch.
- 3 Tbs. melted butter, trans fat–free margarine, or olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek tops (green parts only)
- 8 slices country sourdough bread
- 6 oz. grated Provolone cheese
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, halved, optional
1. Heat 1 tsp. melted butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
2. Brush 4 slices bread with half of remaining melted butter, and set butter side down on baking sheet. Divide Provolone among bread slices, and layer each with one-quarter of leek mixture and 1 red bell pepper half (if using). Cover with remaining bread slices. Brush sandwich tops with remaining melted butter.
3. Heat large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Cook sandwiches in skillet 4 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Flip, and cook 3 minutes more,
or until second side is browned.
- Calories: 520
- Carbohydrate Content: 56 g
- Cholesterol Content: 57 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 845 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g