A sweet-and-sour combination of cauliflower and apple is paired with melted Swiss cheese in a deli-style grilled sandwich. We’ve called for a panini or sandwich press, but you can also make it grilled-cheese-sandwich style in a skillet—just be careful when flipping it to make sure the filling doesn’t fall out.
- 1/4 cup sparkling apple cider
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped chives
- 2 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. ground caraway
- 1/2 lb. cauliflower florets, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped (1 cup)
- 4 oz. shredded Swiss cheese (1 cup)
- 8 slices dark or marbled rye bread
- 2 Tbs. butter, melted
1 Whisk together cider, chives, mustard, honey, and caraway in medium bowl. Add cauliflower and apple, and stir to combine. Let sit at room temperature 10 minutes.
2 Stir in shredded cheese.
3 Preheat panini or sandwich press to medium heat.
4 Scoop heaping ¾ cup cauliflower mixture onto each of 4 bread slices. Top each with another bread slice, and gently press down.
5 Brush both sides of panini press each with ½ Tbs. melted butter. Press 2 sandwiches 3 to 5 minutes, or until bread is browned and crisp on outside, and filling is heated through. Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Calories: 378
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 41 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 594 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g