This take on eggs Florentine uses a lemony parsnip purée instead of richer Mornay or hollandaise sauce.
- 1 1/2 tsp. flax meal
- 1/2 cup cooked red quinoa
- 11/2 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale, collard, or mustard greens, or a combination
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
1. To make Quinoa Cakes: Stir together flax meal and 11/2 Tbs. water in small bowl; set aside.
2. Combine quinoa, Parmesan, thyme, and lemon juice in medium bowl. Stir in flax mixture, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill 10 minutes, then shape into 2 cakes. (Cakes can be covered and refrigerated overnight.)
3. To make Parsnip Purée: Bring parsnip chunks, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until parsnip chunks are tender. Purée mixture with immersion blender, or in food processor until smooth. Keep warm.
4. To make Sautéed Greens: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add greens, and sauté 3 minutes, or until just wilted. Stir in lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Keep warm.
5. Heat 1 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add Quinoa Cakes, and sear 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until brown and crispy. Transfer to plate, and keep warm.
6. To make Poached Eggs: Bring 4 cups water to simmer in medium saucepan. Add vinegar and salt. Crack 1 egg into medium bowl. Stir simmering water into a slow whirlpool, and add egg to spinning water. Repeat with remaining egg.
7. Poach eggs 3 minutes, skimming off any loose whites. Gently remove each egg to plate using slotted spoon.
8. To serve: Top each Quinoa Cake with 1/4 cup Sautéed Greens, 1 Poached Egg, and 2 Tbs. Parsnip Purée. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt, if desired.
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 186 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 193 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g