“My father loved Julia Child and French cooking,” says Ann Ambrose. “In this dish, I united my dad’s love of French cooking with my love of low-fat vegetarian food to create a veg version of classic boeuf bourguignon. After looking at Julia Child’s recipe, I thought Quorn would substitute nicely…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
“My father loved Julia Child and French cooking,” says Ann Ambrose. “In this dish, I united my dad’s love of French cooking with my love of low-fat vegetarian food to create a veg version of classic boeuf bourguignon. After looking at Julia Child’s recipe, I thought Quorn would substitute nicely for the beef and enable me to reduce the cooking time.” Serve with wide egg-free noodles or brown rice pasta.
- 2 Tbs. organic olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbs. spread, divided
- 1 1/4 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp. fresh or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 750-mL bottle Côtes du Rhône or Beaujolais red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 12 oz. 'chicken' tenders
- 1 1/2 Tbs. organic unbleached white flour
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil and 1 Tbs. spread in medium saucepan over high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook in oil 3 to 4 minutes, or until they darken but still retain their moisture. Remove from pan, and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add onion, carrot, and thyme; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 10 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add wine, and increase heat to high. Simmer 5 minutes, or until liquid has reduced by half. Stir in broth and tomato paste. Add Quorn tenders and mushrooms with any liquid that has collected; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Combine remaining 1 Tbs. spread and flour with fork. Stir flour mixture into stew. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, if desired; serve garnished with parsley and sour cream.
- Calories 303
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 619 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g