This cobbler is a happy blend of savory and sweet. Fresh basil lends a light licorice note to the fruit filling, and corn kernels add texture and sweetness to the cornmeal topping.
- 6 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 6 large basil leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. To make Filling: Combine raspberries, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch in large bowl. (If using fresh berries, sprinkle in 2 Tbs. water.) Mix until berries are coated, then fold in basil. Transfer berry mixture to prepared baking dish, cover securely with foil, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until Filling is bubbly. (If using frozen berries, this may take longer.)
3. To make Biscuits: Sift together cornmeal, flour, and baking powder in separate bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar and salt.
4. Make well in center of cornmeal mixture. Add milk and oil, and stir until partially combined. Fold in corn, and gently knead just until dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Remove Filling from oven, and discard foil. Dollop Biscuits dough over Filling, and sprinkle remaining 1 Tbs. sugar over dough. Bake 18 to 20 minutes more, or until Biscuits are firm and Filling bubbles up around them. Cool on wire rack.
- Calories: 255
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 200 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g