A substantial meal, this captures the flavors of summer in each mouthful. It makes a filling entr8Ee, so keep desserts light. Adapted from Rachael Ray’s 30-Minute Meals Veggie Meals.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper or 1 Cubanelle pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium-sized yellow-skinned onion, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, peeled or skin on and diced
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, coarsely diced
- 20 kalamata black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. capers, drained
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 lb. rigatoni pasta, cooked until al dente
- 3 oz. pine nuts, toasted until golden
Heat garlic and crushed pepper in oil in a deep skillet or pot over medium heat until garlic sizzles. Add peppers, onion, eggplant, zucchini, olives, capers, salt and pepper. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook vegetables down, stirring occasionally, until eggplant begins to break down, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes and parsley, and heat through. Toss with pasta, and top with toasted pine nuts.
- Calories: 420
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 630 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g