This recipe uses both the leaves and the stems of Swiss chard. Soaked pecans make a creamy filling that’s packed with protein and antioxidants. For sturdier wraps, use a double layer of chard leaves.
Creamy Pecan Spread
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
Swiss Chard Veggie Wraps
- 6 large Swiss chard leaves
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
To make Creamy Pecan Spread:
Place pecans in large bowl, and cover with cold water. Soak at room temperature 8 hours, or overnight.
To make Swiss Chard Veggie Wraps:
1. Trim center ribs from chard leaves, set leaves aside, and dice ribs, like celery. Toss together diced chard ribs, carrots, onion, lime juice, and oil in bowl. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
2. Drain pecans, reserving soaking water. Place pecans, 1/4 cup soaking water, cumin, and garlic in bowl of food processor; purée 2 to 3 minutes, adding more water if needed for a creamy spread. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Place 1 chard leaf on work surface. Spread with 2 heaping Tbs. Creamy Pecan Spread, leaving 1-inch border on all sides. Spoon 1/3 cup carrot mixture down center of leaf. Top with 3 or 4 tomato wedges and 3 or 4 cucumber matchsticks. Roll chard leaf from bottom up into tight cylinder, tucking in sides as you go. Secure with toothpick. Chill 15 minutes, or store up to 2 days in fridge.
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 36 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g