This festive slaw is vibrant and refreshing. Make it first because it needs to sit a while so the flavors can meld.
- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 1/2 of an average-sized head)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 medium-sized cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tsp. minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. maple syrup, or more to taste
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger, optional
1. Mix cabbage with salt in medium bowl. Place plate on top of cabbage, and weight with heavy can. Let stand 30 minutes to soften cabbage.
2. Stir in cucumber, spinach, red bell pepper and jalapeño.
3. Mix vinegar, maple syrup and ginger, if using, in small bowl. Add to cabbage mixture, and mix well. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature to allow flavors to blend before serving.
- Calories: 25
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 404 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g