These little cakes are based on the French financier, a light tea cake made with almond flour and egg whites. Red currants add some tartness to every bite. You can also top the tea cakes with black currants, blueberries, or raspberries.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together almond flour, all-purpose flour, confectioners’ sugar, and baking powder in large bowl. Stir in applesauce and butter. Beat egg whites in separate bowl with electric mixer 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Gently fold one-third of whipped egg whites into flour mixture. Fold in remaining
egg whites until completely combined.
3. Fill each muffin cup no more than half full with batter. Top with several
4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly brown around edges. Cool 10 minutes before unmolding. Dust with confectioners’ sugar to serve.
- Calories 174
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 66 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g