Puréed beets bring color, sweetness, and an irresistibly moist texture to this cake. To retain the dessert’s red color, use regular unsweetened cocoa powder, not Dutch processed. Chocolate extract (found in the baking aisle with other extracts) delivers extra chocolate intensity, but omitting it won’t ruin the recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 10-inch Bundt pan with cooking spray.
2. To make Cake: Purée almond milk, beet, flaxseed meal, and vinegar in blender until smooth. Transfer to bowl; stir in sugar, canola oil, vanilla extract, and chocolate extract.
3. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Fold into almond milk mixture. Transfer batter to prepared Bundt pan. Bake 1 hour, or until top is firm and tip of knife inserted in center of Cake comes out clean.
4. Transfer Cake (still in pan) to wire rack. When cool enough to handle, unmold onto wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make Icing: Heat coconut oil in bowl in microwave 30 seconds to melt. Stir with fork until thoroughly melted.
6. Sift confectioners’ sugar into bowl with coconut oil. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Add warm water 1 tsp. at a time until Icing is pourable consistency.
7. Leave Cake on wire rack, and place in or over sink or large rimmed baking sheet to catch Icing overflow. Fill small resealable plastic bag with Icing, and snip hole in one corner of bag. Drizzle Icing over Cake. Let Icing set before serving.
- Calories 267
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 216 mg
- Sugar Content 34 g