Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
With radicchio, lolla rossa lettuce and red Belgian endive readily available in many supermarkets, the greens in your salad can be a gorgeous red.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange beets in center of sheet of foil. Drizzle with vegetable oil, and enclose in foil. Roast 1 hour, or until beets are tender. Cool, peel, and quarter.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. walnut oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bread, and sauté 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to plate to cool.
3. Combine remaining 3 Tbs. walnut oil, vinegar and shallots in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Toss beets with half of dressing in small bowl. Toss greens with remaining dressing in large shallow bowl. Sprinkle salad with croutons and blue cheese. Mound beets in center of greens, sprinkle with walnuts, and serve.
- Calories 251
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 19.5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 284 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g