“The capsaicin in the red pepper flakes helps raise body temperature, which is important for the libido,” says The Stanford Inn by the Sea coproprietor Jeff Stanford. Refrigerate extra soup for up to five days.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 large shallot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced (3 cups)
1. To make Balsamic Reduction: Bring vinegar and agave nectar to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes, or until thickened. Cool.
2. To make Soup: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add red onion, sweet potato, Yukon gold potato, and shallot, and cook 5 to 7 minutes. Add cumin, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and bell peppers; bring to a simmer. Cook 30 minutes, or until bell peppers and potatoes are softened. Blend Soup in batches until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Drizzle each serving with Balsamic Reduction.
- Calories: 172
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 126 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g