Combining the hot greens and potatoes with avocados and fetawhich softens and melts slightlygives this simple recipe a striking mix of textures.
- 11 oz. kale (1 bunch), rinsed and finely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 3/4 lb. red potatoes (4 medium), scrubbed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1 large or 2 small avocados, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
Place kale in large, heavy pan. Arrange potato chunks on top of kale, and add 1 cup water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook until kale is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Check about halfway through; add a little water if necessary to keep vegetables from burning.
Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to serving bowl. Crumble feta over potatoes and kale. Top with avocado, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and season with pepper. Serve.
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Cholesterol Content: 40 mg
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 520 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g