Pre-cooking these patties lets you throw them on the grill without worrying they’ll stick or fall apart. Serve with gluten-free buns and your favorite burger fixings.
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 5 1/2 Tbs. ground flaxseeds
- 3 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
1. Bring broth, sweet potato, and quinoa to a boil in saucepan over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Transfer to bowl to cool.
2. Stir chickpeas, zucchini, pumpkin seeds, ground flaxseeds, basil, salt, pepper, chili powder, and thyme into quinoa mixture, mashing chickpeas and sweet potato but leaving some chunks. Shape mixture into 8 patties.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F, or preheat grill to medium-high.
4. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from heat, and either place on baking sheet, and bake 15 minutes, or cook on grill 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
Learn how to cook delicious gluten-free, vegetarian recipes online. Sign up now!
- Calories: 242
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 346 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g