Reminiscent of the 50s favorite chopped salad, this dish indulges your whim for something red and colorful for spring and summer eating. You can dress this with an oil-and-balsamic vinegar mixture or any other preferred dressing. Because this is a focal point for lunch or supper, accompany the salad with grilled cheese squares and wrap the meal up with a tempting sweet, such as a wedge of berry pie. Toast the meal with icy lemonade. This makes about 8 1- to 1 1/2-cup servings.
- 1 bunch radishes, greens removed, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 21/2 cups red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
Put all vegetables and beans in a large salad bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Dress with salad dressing, toss and serve.
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 200 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g