The natural sweetness and thick texture of beets keep these brownies tender.
- 2 large cooked beets or 1 14-oz. can beets, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbs. instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Purée beets in food processor until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. You should have 1 cup. Set aside.
3. Whisk together butter and sugar in bowl until smooth. Add vanilla, then whisk in eggs, one at a time. Stir in beets.
4. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and espresso powder in separate bowl. Fold flour mixture into beet mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Cool, then cut into 16 squares.
- Calories: 161
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 42 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 17 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g