Serve this rich sauce with the Coulibiac (November '98, p. 44) or with roasted or steamed vegetables.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, wine and stock or water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Pour sauce through fine-meshed sieve set over bowl, pressing vegetables with back of spoon to release juices.
- Calories: 60
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 14 mg