Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
When meatless Mexican dishes need a little lift, turn to lime zest and juice. Serve these refried beans with chips, or slather on tortillas and top with vegan cheese for quesadillas.
1. Mash pinto beans and liquid with potato masher in large bowl. Leave some beans whole, or mash until smooth if you prefer a creamier texture.
2. Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions, cumin, and garlic, and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in mashed beans (mixture will be soupy). Increase heat to medium-high, and cook beans 10 minutes, or until they thicken and will hold their shape on plate, stirring frequently.
3. Remove pan from heat. Stir in lime juice and lime zest, and season with pepper. Garnish each serving with 1 Tbs. cilantro.
- Calories 227
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4.5 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 476 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g