Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
If starting with fresh bread, slice it and bake at 200°F until dry, about 8 minutes. Make the soup even heartier by ladling it over toasted country bread that has been rubbed with garlic.
1. Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cabbage, onion, carrot, celery and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes, or until softened. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, zucchini and potato, plus 1 cup water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes, or until potato is tender. Remove thyme sprigs.
2. Add more water if soup seems too thick. Stir in bread pieces, and simmer 5 minutes, or until soup is thickened. Add salt to taste.
3. Ladle soup into bowls; drizzle each with olive oil, and sprinkle with parsley. Serve.
- Calories 288
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 557 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g