Sweet and savory, this fragrant, colorful side dish can be served hot or at room temperature. Garam masala, the spice mix used for flavor, is a curry-powder-like blend from Northern India. If you don’t have any on hand, substitute 1 teaspoon curry powder.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, whites and tender green parts finely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tsp. garam masala, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
1 Melt butter in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks, sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired, and stir to combine. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until leeks are very soft, stirring occasionally.
2 Add dried fruit, garam masala, and 2 Tbs. water, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until fruit has softened slightly. Fold in cooked rice, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve dusted with additional garam masala (optional).
- Calories: 234
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 50 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g