Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
It took more than a few tries to get this chocolaty-smooth dessert just right. The secret is shaking the yogurt jars or stirring with a spoon before popping them into the refrigerator; this prevents a darker chocolate layer from sinking to the bottom.
1. Heat milk to scalding point (170°F; 77°C) in saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Turn off heat, but leave pan on burner. Whisk chocolate sauce into milk until completely dissolved.
2. Place grated chocolate in bowl, and whisk in 1 cup chocolate milk mixture. Return chocolate milk mixture to remaining milk in saucepan, and whisk until chocolate is completely dissolved. Whisk in instant skim milk powder, if using. Cool 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until milk temperature reaches 110° to 120°F (44° to 49°C) on instant-read thermometer, stirring once or twice.
3. Whisk together yogurt and 1/2 cup chocolate milk mixture in bowl. Whisk into remaining chocolate milk mixture. Pour into clean container(s), secure lid(s), and place in yogurt maker. Set timer for 8 hours. Check 1 container after 8 hours; if yogurt has reached desired texture, remove cups from yogurt maker, shake well, and refrigerate. If not, shake well, return to yogurt maker, and set timer for 15 minutes or longer in order to reach desired consistency. Shake again, and chill completely before serving.
- Calories 158
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 13 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 97 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g