This colorful salad is perfect for a party because it’s not every day that you bother to roast beets—yet they are so worth it!
- 6 medium-sized beets, scrubbed
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 bunches arugula, well rinsed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
To make Salad: Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with foil.
Pierce beets with fork. Place on baking sheet, and roast 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until tender when pierced. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, spread nuts in small baking dish, and bake at 400F until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool. Trim and dry arugula, and tear into large bite-sized pieces.
To make Dressing: Combine all ingredients except oil. Gradually whisk in oil. Spoon half of dressing into large bowl, and set aside.
When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut each into 8 to 12 wedges. Add to dressing in bowl, and toss well. (If desired, marinate beets, covered, in refrigerator up to 2 days.)
To serve, toss arugula, beets and reserved dressing in large salad bowl. Sprinkle with toasted nuts, and serve.
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 330 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g