Besides being rich in folate and potassium, beets are loaded with beta-cyanins, which give them their purple hues as well as their anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. Beet juice can stain your fingers, so you might want to slip on a pair of kitchen gloves before you peel the roasted beets here.
- 8 medium beets, trimmed and scrubbed (1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 6 cups mesclun greens or other salad mix
- 3 Tbs. prepared balsamic vinaigrette
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss together beets, olive oil, and garlic in baking dish. Bake 40 minutes, or until beets are tender. Cool.
Scrape skin from beets with paring knife. Slice into rounds.
Toss greens with vinaigrette. Divide among plates, top with beets, and serve.
- Calories: 104
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 6.5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 134 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g