From Vegan Mac & Cheese by Robin Robertson. Copyright © 2019 by Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc.
Related: Tetrazzini Mac
- 3 cups (420 g) diced butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces (454 g) elbow macaroni or other bite-size pasta
- 1/2 cup (70 g) unsalted raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cups (480 ml) plain unsweetened almond milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup (30 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (13 g) Toasted Panko Crumbs (page 25), for garnish
- 3 tablespoons (30 g) roasted hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas), for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Arrange the squash on a rimmed baking pan lined with parchment paper. Drizzle or spray with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling salted water until it is al dente. Drain and return to the pot.
3. In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews and 1 cup (240 ml) of the almond milk and process until smooth. Add the roasted squash, lemon juice, mustard, nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and the remaining almond milk and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Add the sauce to the pot with the macaroni and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed. Heat over low heat for a few minutes, if needed. To serve, transfer to a large serving bowl and serve hot sprinkled with the Toasted Panko Crumbs and pumpkin seeds.