- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen fava beans or baby lima beans
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 large bunches Swiss chard (3 lb.), tough stems trimmed, rinsed well and cut into 1-inch pieces (16 cups)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 7 ears fresh corn, kernels cut from cob (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped (2/3 cup)
- 3 green onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
In medium saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add fava beans and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Stir in Swiss chard and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes more. Discard garlic; set Swiss chard aside.
In large heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add corn and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely toasted, about 10 minutes. Stir in fava beans, green onions, sage, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook 1 minute more. Divide Swiss chard among serving plates and spoon succotash alongside. Serve with hot sauce.
- Calories: 275
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 739 mg