This complements any Middle Eastern appetizer or main course. As an alternate to pita, try Middle Eastern lavosh bread.
- 2 large eggplants (about 11/2 lbs.)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream or plain nonfat yogurt
Preheat oven to 425F.
Prick eggplants and bell peppers several times with fork and rub with olive oil. Roast on baking tray for 30 to 45 minutes, or until soft.
When cool enough to handle, peel and chop eggplants and seed and core bell peppers. Combine in blender with fresh coriander, lime juice and salt and pulse for 30 to 45 seconds, keeping mixture coarse-textured.
Place in bowl and add hot pepper sauce and sour cream. Mix, adjust seasonings and chill for 1 hour before serving with toasted pita wedges.
Try wines from the Sancerre region of the Loire Valley, France, especially the Pouilly-Fumé “L’Arrêt Buffate” made by F. Tinel-Blondelet.
- Calories: 150
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 45 mg