Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
- To make Pibil: Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel; cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned all over, turning occasionally with tongs. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil. Spread onion and tomato slices on baking sheet. Place directly under broiler, and broil 10 minutes; rotate tray, then broil 10 minutes more, or until blackened on both sides, turning vegetables once or twice. Set aside.
- Reduce oven to 300°F. Mash together achiote paste, tomato paste, and garlic in medium bowl. Stir in orange juice, lime juice, bay leaves, cumin, cinnamon, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Line large baking dish with layer of banana leaves (if using). Arrange fennel in bottom of prepared dish, and top with onion mixture, orange wedges, and achiote mixture. Cover with more banana leaves (if using), or wrap tightly in foil. Bake 1 hour, or until fennel is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile to make Habañero-Lime Onions: Combine all ingredients in bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Let stand 10 minutes.
- To serve: remove orange wedges, transfer Pibil to serving dish, and top with Habañero-Lime Onions.
Serve this with Green Corn Tamales.
- Calories 171
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 503 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g