Hearty roasted and sliced portobello mushrooms make these sandwiches particularly satisfying.
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 Tbs. prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- 8 tsp. melted butter, trans fat–free margarine, or olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 8 slices whole-grain or country white bread
- 3 oz. grated Gouda cheese or vegan cheese shreds, such as Daiya
- 1 cup arugula
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush mushrooms with vinaigrette, place on baking sheet, and bake 15 minutes, turning once. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
2. Stir together butter, parsley, and garlic in bowl. Brush 4 bread slices with half of butter mixture, and set butter side down on baking sheet.
3. Sprinkle Gouda among bread slices on baking sheet. Top with mushroom strips, then arugula. Cover with remaining 4 bread slices. Brush sandwich tops with remaining butter mixture.
4. Heat large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Cook sandwiches in skillet 4 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Flip, and cook 3 minutes more, or until second side is browned.
- Calories: 397
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 45 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 806 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g