This all-purpose gravy comes together in no time, and can be served with everything from a store-bought vegetarian holiday roast to homemade mashed potatoes.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. assorted mushrooms, sliced (4 cups)
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped shallots
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp. truffle oil, optional
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms; season with salt, if desired, and sauté 2 minutes, or until softened. Add shallots, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 1 minute, or until tomato paste starts to brown. Add flour and 2 Tbs. butter, and cook 1 minute more.
- Deglaze pan with wine, and increase heat to high. Boil 2 minutes, or until liquid is reduced and has thickened. Stir in broth, thyme, and parsley, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer sauce 12 minutes, or until it coats the back of spoon, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in remaining 1 Tbs. butter and truffle oil, if using. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serving Size Makes 2 1/2 cups
- Calories 65
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 33 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g