Roasting peppers takes a little time, but once its done, this cool, colorful soup can be made in a snap. If desired, roast the peppers a day or two ahead and keep refrigerated.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbs. minced jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cucumber, quartered lengthwise, seeded and diced
- 3 medium red bell peppers
- 2 1/2 cups tomato juice or mixed vegetable juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 large avocado, diced
Preheat broiler. Place peppers on broiler pan and roast, turning often, until charred all over, about 15 minutes. Transfer to paper bag; let cool 5 minutes. Rub charred skins off with your fingers. Wipe last bits of skin off with paper towels (dont worry if a little remains). Discard cores and seeds.
While peppers are roasting, prepare garnish and combine in medium bowl.
In food processor or blender, combine roasted peppers, tomato juice, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; process at high speed until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Divide soup among bowls. Spoon garnish on top and serve with lime wedges.
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 26 mg