Fontina is a classic Italian cheese with a mild, nutty flavor that’s now made in the United States. If you can’t find fontina, shaved Parmesan works well.
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups loosely packed arugula, trimmed
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced, optional
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 oz. fontina cheese, sliced and cut into strips
Whisk together oil, vinegar and garlic in large bowl. Add arugula and fennel, if using, and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide arugula mixture among 6 salad plates. Divide red pepper and cheese strips into 6 portions, and arrange on top of arugula. Grind black pepper over salads, if desired, and serve.
- Calories: 191
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 22 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 176 mg