Piquant black olive paste (sold at many supermarkets) and balsamic vinegar syrup really kick up the flavor of this elegant but super-easy appetizer. You can substitute feta for the mozzarella.
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 tsp. black olive paste or finely chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 fresh baby mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- 16 large fresh basil leaves
Slice red pepper pieces lengthwise into 163⁄4-inch-wide strips. (There may be some left over.) Spread each strip with about 1⁄4 tsp. olive paste.
Bring vinegar to a simmer in small saucepan over medium heat, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes. It will be very syrupy. Watch carefully at the end because the syrup can burn easily.
Pat mozzarella balls dry, and cut in half. Place one mozzarella half on one end of red pepper strip; roll up and secure with toothpick. Repeat to form 16 roulades. If making ahead, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until an hour before serving. To serve, place each roulade on 1 basil leaf on serving platter; drizzle roulades with balsamic syrup, and serve.
- Calories: 66
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 180 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g