Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Puréed roasted butternut squash provides the creamy base for a hearty chowder. If making the chowder ahead, prepare the recipe through step 3, then assemble and reheat just before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine 5 cups butternut squash chunks, 2 cups diced apple, leek whites, oil, and maple syrup in large bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spread squash mixture in single layer on prepared baking sheet, and roast 30 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Cook potato chunks and remaining 1 cup butternut squash in boiling, salted water 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
4. Purée roasted vegetables in blender until smooth. Add purée and apple juice to large soup pot with 4 cups water. Whisk in vinegar, and heat over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add boiled potatoes and squash, remaining 1 cup diced apple, and leek greens, and simmer 5 minutes, or until hot.
- Calories 162
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 12 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g