This soup will benefit from overnight refrigeration, which allows the flavors to meld. Serve it with pumpernickel or rye bread.
- 1 Tbs. olive or canola oil
- 3 carrots, trimmed, peeled, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium white or yellow onions, peeled, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 beets (about 1 1/4 lbs.) trimmed, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 small head cabbage, cored, quartered, very thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 10 cups water
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 3 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat, tilting pan to spread. Add carrots, onions and garlic; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add beets and cabbage. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except yogurt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Taste soup for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed. Soup should have a nice sweet-sour tang.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with yogurt or soy sour cream.
- Calories: 111
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 84 mg