Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Chase away the remnants of winter with this root stew that gets sun-kissed flavor from spices, olives, sweet dates, and dried apricots. Don’t be daunted by the long ingredients list; the dish comes together quickly and can be served with steamed rice or couscous for a hearty meal.
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 to 9 minutes, or until golden and soft. Stir in garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, and cinnamon, and cook 2 minutes, stirring often, or until spices are fragrant. Stir in broth and 11/2 cups water, scraping up any brown bits stuck to bottom of pan.
2. Whisk in miso until smooth, then add turnips, sweet potato, dates, apricots, olives, and ginger. Bring mixture to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish each serving with 1 Tbs. chopped cilantro.
- Calories 258
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 571 mg
- Sugar Content 33 g