The great colors here get a hit of green from collards added at the end. A final flourish from an orange-balsamic mix rounds out the flavor profile.
- 3 Tbs. orange juice
- 1 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz. collard greens (1/2 small bunch)
- 5 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 3 cups (14 oz.) medium-diced onions
- 1 1/2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (12 oz.), peeled and diced (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into medium dice (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 large rutabaga (12 oz.), peeled and cut into medium dice (2 1/3 cups)
1. Combine orange juice, maple syrup, and vinegar in glass measuring cup. Set aside.
2. Remove stems from collard leaves by holding a stem with 1 hand and ripping leaf off each stem with other hand. Stack 5 or 6 leaves at a time, roll up lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons. Chop ribbons into 2- to 3-inch lengths. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 6 to 7 minutes. Uncover, and cook 15 minutes more, or until onions are lightly golden. Add ginger, and cook 30 seconds. Add 7 cups water and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, and season with salt, if desired. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until potatoes are well-browned on at least 2 sides, stirring occasionally. Transfer to bowl.
5. Add 1 Tbs. oil to same skillet. Add carrots, and cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until well-browned on at least 2 sides. Transfer to bowl with potatoes.
6. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to same skillet. Add rutabaga, and cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until well-browned on at least 2 sides, stirring occasionally. Transfer to bowl with potatoes.
7. Add vegetables to onion broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 9 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add collard greens, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in 1 to 2 Tbs. of orange juice mixture.
- Calories: 231
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 350 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g