For hearty that’s healthy, you can’t beat a roasted veggie-polenta combo. Lots of great do-aheads in the recipe make this an ideal dish for entertaining, too.
- 1 12-oz. pkg. cubed butternut squash (3 cups)
- 4 medium parsnips, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 5 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 11/2 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup polenta or corn grits
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) finely grated Parmesan cheese
Mushrooms and Broth
- 2 Tbs. butter, divided
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, quartered (6 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.), divided
- 1/2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms, coarsely ground in spice mill or coffee grinder (1/4 cup ground)
- Coarsely chopped fresh rosemary or Italian parsley
1 To make Vegetables: Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss together all ingredients in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and divide between two large baking sheets. Roast 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and brown in spots, tossing occasionally and switching baking sheets halfway through baking.
2 To make Polenta: Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix 3 cups water, polenta or corn grits, garlic, rosemary, and ½ tsp. salt in 8-inch-square metal baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and polenta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil, and cool. Cut into 4 squares.
3 To make Mushrooms and Broth: Melt 1 Tbs. butter in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cremini mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes, or until golden. Add 1 tsp. garlic, and cook 10 seconds. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
4 Boil 22 ⁄3 cups water, porcini mushrooms, and remaining
3 tsp. garlic in medium saucepan 15 minutes, or until reduced to 11⁄4 cups. Whisk in remaining 1 Tbs. butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5 Place 1 Polenta square in each bowl. Top with 1 cup Vegetables and 1⁄4 cup Mushrooms. Sprinkle with rosemary, and spoon 1⁄4 cup Broth over top.
Make-ahead instructions: Prepare recipe three to five days ahead through step 4, and refrigerate components. Warm Polenta, Mushrooms, and Vegetables on baking sheet in 400˚F oven 8 to 10 minutes. Reheat broth in saucepan on stove.
- Calories: 511
- Carbohydrate Content: 87 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 16 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 461 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g