“During the crazy-busy holiday season, forget perfection,” recommends editor-in-chief Michele Crockett. “This free-form pie has a relaxed feel that’s perfect for unwinding with family and good friends.”
- 12 slicesServings
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten, or 1/4 cup milk or soymilk, for brushing crust
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 lb. dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 lb. dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 lb. dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/4 lb. raisins
- Peel of 1 lemon, removed with peeler
- 1/3 cup Armagnac, Cognac, or Calvados
- 6 Granny Smith apples, divided
- 1/4–1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
1. To make Crust: Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in food processor several times to combine. Add butter; pulse 5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse sand. Add 1/2 cup water; pulse until dough just comes together. Transfer to large piece of plastic wrap, and press into flat disk. Wrap tightly, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
2. To make Filling: Place apricots, figs, cranberries, raisins, and lemon peel in large bowl; cover with boiling water, and let stand 20 minutes. Drain, and return to bowl. Add Armagnac while fruit is still hot. Let plump in liqueur until cool.
3. Grate 3 apples, and stir into dried-fruit mixture along with sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out dough to 14-inch circle, and place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spread dried-fruit mixture in center of Crust, leaving 2 1/2-inch border.
5. Peel, halve, core, and thinly slice 3 remaining apples. Arrange slices in concentric circles atop dried fruit. Fold dough border over apples to make rustic edges. Brush edges with egg; sprinkle edges with turbinado sugar. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until Crust is golden and edges of apples begin to brown.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 365
- Carbohydrate Content: 72 g
- Cholesterol Content: 36 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 163 mg
- Sugar Content: 42 g