Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Summer and stone fruits just go hand-in-hand, and this rustic blueberry and nectarine tart is a great way to show those beauties off. This sheet-tray bake is great to pull out as a light (yet so pretty!) dessert after dinner, but it also works well for an elegant breakfast or brunch. And if you’re worried about whipping up the crust on a hot day, don’t be. The dough used here is easy to work with even in hot temperatures when a more butter-rich base would tear or stick.
The recipe calls for nectarines and blueberries, but you can really use this formula to improvise your own combo of choice based on whatever is looking good where you are. Pitted cherries are a great sub for the blueberries when in season, and any stone fruit can be sliced up to take the place of the nectarines. We also advise a layer of ricotta cheese in the nectarine tart; vegans can try a DIY or store-bought nut version, or that layer could even be omitted entirely, though the finished product will likely lack some of the silkiness and moisture the ricotta brings to the table.
Rustic Blueberry and Nectarine Tart
1. To make Crust: Stir sugar and yeast into 1/2 cup warm (110°F) water. Let stand 5 minutes, or until cloudy.
2. Whisk together eggs and butter in bowl. Whisk in yeast mixture.
3. Combine flour, salt, and zest in bowl. Stir in yeast mixture until soft dough forms. Cover bowl with kitchen towel; set in warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray. Punch down dough, and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Press into large rectangle, leaving edges thicker, like a pizza crust.
5. To make Toppings: Whisk together ricotta, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt in bowl. Spread ricotta mixture over dough, and arrange nectarine wedges in rows. Sprinkle tart with blueberries. Bake 30 minutes, or until Crust is crisp and browned on sides and bottom. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Calories 98
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 24 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 84 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g